As summer begins to wind down, I’ve been doing a little reflecting on my favorite items, looks, and trends that came out of spring and summer 2019.
On the top of my list? Long denim shorts. Also known as jean biker shorts or jiker shorts. No matter what you call them, they’re a welcome change of pace from short shorts. I’m enjoying how fresh they feel, and enjoying the extra bit of coverage.
Even better, these long shorts make a great transition piece into fall, especially if you live in a hotter climate, like me. In Texas, we won’t see a break in the heat til October, but I still like to start channelling fall around the end of August. Subtle shifts, like trading in my short shorts for longer shorts or wearing black denim instead of light wash denim, help me channel fall while staying weather-appropriate.
Here are four ways I’ve been styling my long denim shorts lately.
See something you like? You can shop it and support my blog at the same time by using the affiliate links throughout this post.
Let’s start with my favorite look. I usually end up in this outfit (or some version of it) at least once a week. When you find a look you love, why not put it on repeat?
- Layer neutrals for a chic look. Beige, cream, warm tan, and black is my go-to color palette right now.
- Channel fall with texture. Again with the channeling fall thing. :) When I think of fall textures, I immediately think of velvet, suede, leather, and wool — but there’s another one that often goes overlooked. Raw Silk! The button-down I’m wearing is made of raw silk and I love it because it’s breathable (AKA heat friendly), but has a wonderful nubby texture.
- Add gold accessories. They look especially chic with layered neutrals.
- Be prepared for varied temperatures. It may be hot outside, but every store and restaurant seems to blast arctic air. A button down combats the chill, plus it’s easy to remove once you’re back out in the heat.
Here’s a dressier look that I’ve worn out to dinner a few times this summer.
- Try a longer, untucked top for ultimate comfort (especially when you’re about to eat a delicious meal). Expect to see this kind of look a lot more over the fall and winter.
- Add interest with a sculptural bag. I love neutrals so much (so much!), but I don’t want my outfits to look boring or bland — so I’m all about getting sculptural elements into my outfits. This little bag really pops against the black top and shorts.
- That thing you said you’d never wear again? Maybe give it another chance. I steered clear of fancy heels for years. But now all of a sudden, it feels really fun to wear them. For maximum comfort, stick with a lower 2-2.5 inch heel.
- Steam your clothes before you wear them. Hah, I’m just poking fun at the fact that my shirt is wrinkled in the photos from a previous wear. Oh well. :)
If you’ve got a concert, festival, or event coming up, this one’s for you. I wore this outfit to see Khalid in concert over the summer (yes, the show was amazing!).
Instead of letting the event dictate your style, bring your style to the event. When deciding what to wear, I started by browsing Pinterest for concert outfits. But nothing felt like something I’d actually wear. So I stopped looking out there and started looking in — and landed on this look. It hit that perfect balance between feeling both right for the event and true to my own style. It’s in my signature neutrals, plus I didn’t have to buy a single new piece to create the look (which is always a good sign that you’re in line with your style).
Contrasting proportions can make an outfit. I started with a tight crop top and shorts — and we all know that tight clothes aren’t the easiest to wear. But when those tight elements are contrasted with an oversized jacket, the look becomes wearable. Even with a hint of midriff, the oversized jacket and long shorts made me feel super comfortable.
Keep your footwear comfortable | When in doubt, wear sneakers.
If you’re new to denim biker shorts, here’s an easy entry point. There’s not a whole lot to talk about here, but I’ll share just a few quick styling notes:
- Add interest to a simple outfit with an unexpected element like clear strap sandals.
- Opt for a boxy shirt for a modern look.
- Play with style tweaks, like rolling your sleeves or tucking your tee.
- You can never go wrong with a white crewneck tee and a gold necklace.
• • •
And there you have it!
What about you? Are you into longer shorts these days? What’s your favorite way to style them? Do you have any styling ideas to carry them into the early fall? (I can’t wait to wear mine with an oversized, untucked, chunky sweater and gold necklaces.) Share your thoughts in the comments!
I hope your summer is wrapping up nicely. Thanks so much for reading!